Wednesday 4 February 2009

New music: Australian awakening - Spiderbait

Sometimes one is just very lucky when it comes to finding new music and this has happily happened to me again. A few days back "inuitwomb" on Last.fm (great nick by the way ;), or Benn as he is really called, posted me a shout. He had found at that we had a quite similar taste in music and it's always good to meet people like that, that like a lot of the same thing as you and also a whole lot of other great things that you have never heard.

For a long time I have had this thought in the back of my head that it has to be a lot of great Australian music out there that I have never heard. The only thing I know that is Australian is Kylie Minouge and AC/DC... There had to be more than that coming from down under. So as Benn is Australian I asked him for some new cool Australian music and my oh my! I am glad I did. He on the spot gave me about 15 bands I have never heard of. I am now on my third band and I have LOVED everything so far, and that is very rare...

So people.. brace yourself for a lot of Australian coming from me to you in the time ahead!

First up is "Spiderbait" an amazing rock band.. One of the coolest things is that the drummer is actually also the bands singer and they have a guitarist and a female bass player. I must have heard them before, at least their single "Black Betty" was very familiar to me. It's very typichal down to earth bad ass rock, and I think they have music that are not just like that, but I haven't heard anything yet. They kind of remind me of a mix between The Pixies and Foo Fighters and PJ Harvey, Audioslave and Ida Maria right now... And there is some old school rock ala Ac/dc in there too. Great stuff. I give you Black Betty...

Ah.... and I of course now realized that Black Betty is really a classic song covered by tons of people.. that's why I knew it... Stupid me (Slap of hand to the head). But anyways Spiderbait's version is definitively the best one I have heard (and I have now heard quite a few as I have been looking for their version .. hehe) (You can see the video in HQ if you have Last.fm on the Last.fm page)




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...