Sunday 20 January 2013

Song of the Day #3 - Arctic Monkeys - R U Mine?

The last days this song has been running around my brain so much, so today was no choice really, it had to become the Song of the Day.

R. U Mine was released about a year ago, and to be honest it kind of escpaped my radar as it is a single, and not part of any album. It was not untill a few days ago that I saw the music video for the first time and that lifted it to a new level for me. First of all I love the fact that Arctic Monkeys are one of the bands who still dare to be really "leather-jacket-rock'n'roll-stars" and at the same time they make brilliant, exciting and bad to the bone rock'n'roll. In this video they look bad ass, pure and simple. I love the idea for the video, I love that we get a sneak peak into what happens the first time a band hears a song.

 I almost never get bored when I listen to Arctic monkeys. More often I catch myself wanting to head bang to the beats and discovering new details. I often listen to lyrics a long time after first hearing a song, but when it comes to Arctic Monkeys, I can't help it. That is also one of the things that made me fall in love with them in the first place; the way Alex Taylor phrases his lyrics over several lines. My favourite in this song is: "In my mind, when she's not there, right beside me, I go crazy.." You can hear it several times during the song, for instance here. It stretches across the lines of the music in a fantastic way. And who can withstand such dark lovely riffs. There's something 70's rock about this and the part of it that I like, and maybe a tad of Rage against the Machine?




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...