Tuesday 17 June 2008

How to "steal" a festival!

The last decade the Quart festival has been one of the leading music festivals in Norway. A few weeks ago it was though announced that they had to give it all up due to few sold tickets. Lots of great artists were booked like Kent, Justice, Kings of Leon, Death Cab for Cutie and tons more. For some reason people just didn't buy tickets. I attended the festival twice in 2001 and 2002 (I think?) and it was amazing. It was my first real music experience, so one part of me is really sad to see it go. But I do understand why, I think. When I used to attend people used to come straight from Roskilde festival i Denmark and go on to Quart. The last few years Roskilde has started to host their festival the same weekend as Quart and the effect of that had to be noticed I think. At the same time it kind of feels like the program of Quart is a bit safer now and a bit more boring. The former leader of the festival left and started his own festival Hove a few years back and I think that had a lot of influence. When looking at his festival there are a lot more acts I would like to watch that at Quart.

Anyways... Quart is over... Today though we were hit by some very supriseing and amazing news. A couple of people in Oslo has actually managed to convinced a few of the top acts to come to Oslo instead of Kristiansand and made a festival in the middle of the city in less than 2 weeks. They have the city councils support and will be using an area that these weeks are used for showing the games from the European fotball championship. It's an amazing idea!!! It's so fresh that they haven't got a web page yet and the concerts are in two weeks. It will be very exciting to see what they can do in just two weeks with all the left over artists the scooped up from the Quart festivals program. I understand that the people around other parts of Norway most be really pissed at us, but hey!... finders keepers .. :) I think I might go on Thursday if there are any good bands. Going on a trip with the band from Friday to Sundag :) Sun, sea and music :)

Clip from NRK about the new festival (in Norwegian)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...