Monday 23 June 2008

Norway, Brazil and Hattfield in 1998



Exactly 10 years ago today I was sitting at a kitchen in a student home in England in Hattfield in Herefordshire. On the table was all the left overs from the two fridges in the students kitchen. All that students had left that was still eatable. Beside me was my boyfriend at the time, an american student in England and another couple, both english. On tv I had hoped to watch Norway - Brazil in the European Championship, but of course they were showing Scottland - Marocco. BUT.. thankfully they showed the highlights from the Norwegian match when exciting things happened.. We waited and waited and then it happened... Brazil scored of course at the end of the second half. Then a miracle happened. NORWAY SCORED!! I started to have some hope. And then... an even bigger miracle... NORWAY GETS A PENELTY KICK... I see Ketil Rekdal the captain with a face carved of stone lining up to do the penelty kick. I scream to the others: "HE WILL SCORE!" and he did... I scream and run out on the terrace on the roof screeeeeaming with joy... half drunk :) I am the happiest and loneliest Norwegian in the world. In Oslo they go crazy and the next day I buy The Times. Norway has beaten BRAZIL! Brazil later almost wins the championship, Norway ties their next matches and is out, and Norway is the only team except France that has beaten Brazil. One if not the greatest moment in sports in Norway's history.. Brazil haven't lost a game like this since 1966.

And tonight... ten years later... I get to see the whole game. They are showing it on tv now and I look forward to the end, though I will not scream that much this time...but I love the memories :)

And... sigh... My exam is in two days... God knows how this will end...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...