Thursday 21 April 2011

New music and new album: Gorillaz - The Fall

Well, as I have stated in this blog before, I pretty much like any music as long as Damon Albarn sings. And when it comes to the new Gorillaz album it's no exception. From the moment I put this record on it was just clear to me that this is a darn good record! It's something with the flow of the whole thing. It's just beautiful! Hurrah! Great new music, there is almost nothing like it.

Yesterday I read up a bit on the story of the Gorillaz as well and how that whole thing started. I love it:
"Damon Albarn and Jamie Hewlett created Gorillaz in 1998 when they were living together in a flat on Westbourne Grove.[10] The idea to create the band came about when the two were watching MTV, "if you watch MTV for too long, it's a bit like hell – there's nothing of substance there. So we got this idea for a cartoon band, something that would be a comment on that," Hewlett said".(quote from Wikipedia).
I also read somewhere else that from the beginning the idea behind the band was to mix all kinds of genres and just see what happened. To me that must be the greatest idea for a band I have ever heard of. It made me respect and love them even more.

The new album The Fall was also recorded and made in a very interesting way.
"The entire album was recorded on group founder Damon Albarn's Apple iPad, during the American leg of the Escape to Plastic Beach World Tour in October 2010, and mixed in England by Stephen Sedgwick"(Wikipedia)
. If you look at the albums track listing it's very clear that this songs were made in different places in America. Most of the songs titles have some reference to the place where they were made. And to make it all in a quite new media and within the boundaries of that seams like a brilliant idea. To me that means you have to be creative in a whole other way than if everything is available to you. It seams like it can be both a comfort for the "musicmaker" and a horror. The Gorillaz succeeded, that's for sure. I want to make my own sounds too.

In some ways, the new Gorillaz album is what I hoped that the new Radiohead album would be.. It just sound fresh and exciting and new, but of course very much like Damon made it :) It will be exciting to see what Mr. Coxon will release upon the world soon. Oh how I wish someone could make these too make music together again. That would result in something truly new and exciting, I think.

Spotify
There is also supposed to be a new video on YouTube for Amarillo, but I can't find it. Feel free to look :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...