Monday 28 July 2008

The development of Coldplay - Death and all his friends


I might be wrong... about Brian Eno.
Photo by http://www.southbankcentre.co.uk/frontrow/

I might have to take back all the wrong things I've ever said about Brian Eno. Death and all his friends, a new song from the new Coldplay album that he produced is just a masterpiece when it comes to arr. and production. And that's not all. I think that the song actually sums up the whole musical development of Coldplay through their career, and if I am right we have good things coming in the future.

The song starts very traditional with a cute little melody and Chris sweet voice while he plays piano and a pretty little guitar solo on top. THEN... about 1: 19 the first miracle happens, and I think this is quite similar to the more rocked up version we have found increasingly on Coldplays last 2 albums. And the build up is just amazing. Layer on layer of voices and God knows what, before the drums really hit us and and this whole theme is very lovely rock, swingy Coldplay that I like. The melody also becomes a bit more complex THEN!! WHAT then... at 2: 19 something unheard of and amazing and wild happens.... Coldplay flies into an amazing 7/8 theme... And how well they do it to. The really sad thing is that they repeat that part of the song only twice and then it's suddenly over... And the bass, the bass is amazing on this song. It lifts the song and makes it groove. I think in general that the bass on this record is the best that I've heard Coldplay.

I have never heard Coldplay play around like this and even put in 7/8. They have always been masters of build ups and great themes that makes you chill to the bones, but this is something different and more exciting. I have never heard them like this. They are almost almost getting near the genius of Radioheads now... But I have a sneaking suspicion that this all might be very much thanks to the genius of Brian Eno. I can heard that someone has guided this whole thing firmly in one production and opened up and added instruments and all that at the perfect moment, and I really don't think that the boys in Coldplay can have done this all by themselves. Sorry. One of my favorite things that he has added acoustic guitar at the great moment when all the drums come booming in to make the effect even stronger. Music with layers is always the most exciting, because you find new great parts all the time. And if this is development continues I am looking forward to the rest :)

Here the song is ;)


4 comments:

Stephan said...

I might agree. Brian Eno could be dangerously close to the genius of Radiohead (or it could be the other way around - I might be wrong). But just to get one thing straight - THAT doesn't count as news... ;)

Anonymous said...

Totally agree with this one. A great track, really stand out on the album.

Unknown said...

Thanks for reading and leaving the comment :) Hope you read my drum blogs too and find more interesting stuff to read later :) And... your rss doesn't work.. hehe

Pat the Cat said...

Through reading articles and interviews, I'm finding how hard it is for a listener to tell where the ideas come from as songs are developed. Eno has been associated with progressive music for eons. It's probable that his co-mingling with members of Roxy Music, Genesis, Talking Heads and Devo have worked both to the bands' benefit and Brian's as well in his development as a producer. I have read that he tries to let the bands' personalities and ideas come out, rather than forcing them in a particular direction. He hasn't done a lot of rock recordings as a solo artist, but 1977's Before and After Science is a real standout.

As for Coldplay themselves, they seem pretty open to new ideas. You never know what an ambitious artist might produce, especially following a year or two of rest and rethinking. I was quite amazed by the difference between Keane's first recordings and their recent Under the Iron Sea, as they became much more than clever pop songwriters and produced some really powerful music.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...