Tuesday 22 July 2008

TV: Band of Brothers

The best tv-series I have ever seen in my life is "Band of Brothers". Just hearing the intro gives me a almost religious feeling. I always knew I would like the series because it is about world war 2. So my friend lend it to me on a Sunday evening and I decided to put it on and watch an episode or two since I had nothing better to do. This was about 4 in the afternoon. I got totally hooked and kept watching until 6 the next morning.

What I love so much is first of all that the whole thing is true. It's real story about real people, not fake like for instance "Saving Private Ryan" though that is also a great movie. Secondly all the actors (except one that is only there in the start) are not famous so you don't keep thinking about other parts they have played and really just identifies them with that role and think of them as connected to the person they play in a more true way. Thirdly the camera angles the colors and the flow is better than anything I have ever seen in my life. This most be the best think Steven Spielberg has ever done as a producer, and that says a lot. So just sit down and be aware that you might get hooked to, moved, thrilled and just have the experience of your life. I am watching the series now for the 4th time with a friend and it just keeps getting better.
I post the opening sequence below. It also includes some statements from the real people the series is about. The real soldiers of the E Company ("Easy Company") of the 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, United States Army 101st Airborne Division. They don't tell you who they are until the last episode or the documentary that is about the series and the real men. This gives it an extra dimension to the series and makes it even more true in a way. You can see how these men are more or less all the time moved almost to tears as they give their statements about the events they went through. The events and experiences are so horrific at times, but the friendships are also just as amazing. It says so much about people in extreem situations and makes it all so basic somehow. I like that. I wish it could be that basic sometimes, without being so horrible at the same time.

Oh yes, and the music is amazing. So glad John Williams didn't do it and that they choose Michael Kamen instead.

The series homepage and more can be found by clicking on the links above.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...