Sunday 14 December 2008

Film & Music: Marie Antoinette

I think Sofia Coppola has made some genius choices when it comes to music for her film about Marie Antoinette. When I first saw the movie and heard the first few songs, I was a bit shocked and not at all sure if I liked it at all, somewhere during the movie I started to love it more and more. Sofia has chosen a lot of modern music for a film that is all the rest when it comes to costumes and setting and all in the 16-1700's. This could have had a really tragic, fake, strange and bad effect but actually it just makes it amazing. Marie Anotionette's feelings in the film are underlined by the feelings also felt by the artists that made the songs almost 400 years later. For those of you who haven't seen the movie, there might be some spoilers, so be careful. I especially love that she uses modern music like The Strokes "Whatever happened" to give a portrait of Marie Antoinette for the Swedish military officer Count Fersen (?):



I also love how Ceremony by New Order is in the background of her birthdayparty.



And last but not least "I want candy". The perfect song for this queen famed for her spendings...



(Look for the Converse.. hehe)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree! Her music decisions were brilliant for this movie. This was the most transcendent(sp?) period film I've ever seen. The music really helped you, the audience put into perspective the youth of these characters.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the comment, David. I couldn't agree more. Very well put :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...