Wednesday 5 January 2011

The music of 2010 and Ôlafur Arnalds




(No, I have not stopped writing a blog, I will try to write a bit more often in 2011, and hope it is not as stressful as last year was, I truly enjoy sharing music with you all.)

As many of you know by now, the year 2010 was in many ways a very very sad one for me, when it comes to music. I thought most of the new music that was released was extremely boring. Every time I tired to listen to something new it either felt cold and unconnected and unemotional or like something that I had heard A MILLION times before. But I also find myself often liking things in retrospect rather than when it's just released, and you can kind of say it has already started, though I did listen to and liked this album in 2010, it's now that I have realized how brilliant this is.
So ladies and gentlemen, I give you the brilliant Ôlafur Arnalds. Even though one can argue that the melodies of this album is not the most exciting that you have ever heard, there is something extremely fragile and beautiful about it. You can hear the man that made the music through the music, and he most truly be a soul of beauty. And I also, not surprisingly, really love his arrangements. He takes his time when he's supposed to and build huge webs of melodies when he wants to.

You can listen to his album on Spotify here. It even has a wonderful title:
...and they have escaped the weight of darkness.
Here is also a link to his YouTube Page.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...