Tuesday 25 January 2011

New Music: Matthew Kilford

Putting on Matthew Kilford's song "Zurich" feels like a movie starts in your head. In my head I walk through the door on the front of his album cover and into a room where the light falls in from the side and the window is open to a late summer evening. It's something very comforting, beautiful and peaceful about it. At the same time your heart and head catches that there is a little undertone of something a bit more sad underneath it all.

Kilford's guitar playing is just wonderful and spins around like some kind of nice little machine in the background, and I mean machine in a nice way. I am not sure exactly what kind of machine it is, but I think it is made of silver and is quite elegant and pleasant. In short, great guitar playing.

But most of all, what caught my ear, was this brilliant voice. It has it's own very clear beautiful, emotional and sweet tone, but also remind me of such great men as Simon and Garfunkel, Jeff Buckley (when he's calm, Jeff that is) and last, but not least Andy Yorke, brother of the more famous Thom. And when I tell you that Matthew also is from Oxford,it shouldn't be surprising as all good things to seam to come from there these days, at least Oxfordshire. Sorry, I apparently don't know my English shires :)There is someone else he also very much remind me of in the singing department, but I am totally unable to pin point it right now. But it's someone I really like, so a compliment.

Don't let this chance pass you, good people. Let's make this man get the fame he deserves. Why don't you start with the one on the bottom of this post. It has an truly great contrast between the verses and the refrain. I think we need to see this man live in Norway soon too.

And I haven't even gotten far enough to listen to the lyrics for real yet, but enough to know that it's beautiful. For me that is a bit like unwrapping a gift slowly.

My Space
Spotify
Youtube
Twitter

1 comment:

StevenHWicker said...

Congratulation for the great post. Those who come to read your Information will find lots of helpful and informative tips. Ode to Joy Strings

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...